Monday, October 24, 2011

Class Warfare

I had an illuminating exchange on my friend Corrie's Facebook page this evening. One of her other friends, who I don't know, and I were discussing an article that was making the FB rounds today condemning the "Mythical Bootstraps College Student" photo, which has apparently also been making the rounds. Here's what Corrie's friend said:

I guess it goes both ways. People who believe that everyone enduring hardships "deserve it" and people who believe that everyone who has achieved success must have cheated or are greedy. Wish both sides would work towards an equitable solution.
That really got me thinking. The thing that struck me the most was that she had read the same article I had, but come away thinking that the author believed that everyone who achieves success are greedy cheaters. Which made me realize, and not for the first time, that a big part of our political divide is simple misperception. Once side says, "We should take responsibility for our own actions," and the other side hears, "Poor people are scum who deserve a miserable life." One side says, "Income inequality is a major problem," and the other side hears, "Rich people are greedy cheaters." On both sides, we become so enraged by the perceived insult that we cannot begin to appreciate, or even contemplate, the true message. And so it all devolves into so-called "class warfare."

So I thought I'd clarify my thoughts on the differences between the classes and who deserves what. I believe that most people are good, and a few, maybe 5-10%, are assholes. Further, I believe that the good and the asshole alike are probably spread pretty equally across all classes. That is, the vast majority of the rich people are good people who got to where they are through some fortunate combination of circumstance, luck, opportunity, smart choices and hard work, and the other 5-10% are assholes who are gaming the system. Conversely, the vast majority the poor are good people who got to where they are despite hard work and through some terrible combination of circumstance, bad luck, lack of opportunity and poor choices, and the other 5-10% are assholes who are trying to game the system.

I dunno. I thought at the outset that this is a pretty moderate position that most people could agree with, but looking at it now I see that may not be the case.

Anyway, assuming you agree with my 5-10% asshole theory, the next question is then of course: where do we go from there? I can see why some people would be hesitant to pay for the welfare of the poor, for fear of encouraging the assholes who are gaming the system. I can see why some people would wave signs reading "Eat the Rich," in anger over the assholes who are gaming that system. There's certainly a lot of room for argument and disagreement here.

I personally would prefer to ignore the assholes and try to do what might benefit the other 90% of us. Also, I'd rather pay potentially slightly higher taxes and live in a humane culture that provides a bare minimum of support for all its citizens, asshole or no. I'd like to see our society provide more opportunity for those who have the gumption to work for it (I believe that opportunity is currently in decline in this country, and has been for at least a decade). I also think it's obscene for anyone, asshole or no, to make more than, say, 1000x the national average household income; I don't care how hard you've worked or how good a person you are, no one deserves to have that much more than anyone else. Although I'm not entirely sure what can be done about it. At the very least, those people should be paying at least the same percentage of their income in taxes as average workers [ETA, apparently they already pay very slightly more. So that's good]. But those are just my thoughts on the matter.

What are yours?

[Another edit]
My proclamation that it's obscene to make more than 1000x the national average household income got me thinking. Obviously, if someone offered me $50 million a year to do my job, I wouldn't say no. So what would I do? Assuming about half went to taxes, that leaves me with a nice $25 million annually. My family could live comfortably off the interest of $25 million in decent investments, so after that first year here's what I'd do with the money: I'd hire a dozen or so people at six-figure salaries to come work for me; a tax lawyer and some social workers and councellors and tutors and stuff. Then I'd give a college education to a thousand or so single, poor parents every year. It'd be first-come first-serve, and if you were a single parent living below the poverty line in Minnesota, we'd pay your tuition and books. We could provide tax advice and help finding other social services for food and daycare and transportation and stuff like that. As long as you could get into and stay in school, we'd pay for it. Wouldn't that be lovely?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kate, thought provoking....
    I was thinking similar things myself, but on the line of the "fringe element." This whole Occupy Wall Street thing has me thinking about the more "rational" end of either side, tea partyists and OWS folks and why people I consider, sane, reasonable and intelligent dismiss or ridicule the activists. Where I would (and to some extent still do) admonish those at the Tea Party end who do not speak up and condemn those at rallies with clearly racist, homophobic, and otherwise hateful messages seen as the hallmark of their party by liberals, now I am think about what options they have. When they stated they sought to simply stand for less government intervention, not vocally and unilaterally speaking against these extremists among them (and my bias, perhaps, is to see more of this hatefulness as closer to a large contingent than perhaps the fringe they possibly are) was to be in collusion with them. Now I see/hear about the OWS protesters saying absurd, perhaps offensive things that truly do not represent me, but I see it as the small fringe being its crazy self. Of course, the other side sees it as the Return of the Hippy Nonbathing Publicly Urinating Masses. Urinating and defecating in public, much less on police property, is not ok in my book, nor is hurling insults or attempting to provoke law enforcement in any way, even if some of them have used excessive force, which I certainly decry. I also think the folks holding up the signs saying "END CAPITALISM" and "FORGIVE ALL STUDENT LOAN DEBT NOW" are rather idiots, and don't represent me. I am interested in capitalism staying alive and healthy, but better regulated, and perhaps (will have to think more deeply about this) a someday socialized or semi-socialized higher education system, but abruptly forgiving all debt, even with my very limited knowledge of banking and economics, seems a ridiculous suggestion. Yet I am quite sympathetic (if not completely behind) this movement. I personally don't think the ridiculousness or hatefulness of our "side" is nearly on par with the amplitude of the right... but today, I am willing to see there is a possibility of bias, and ponder what to do about speaking out against those in my fold I find poorly represent the cause. Perhaps doing this will lead to less of the reckless translation you note above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are deciding what to do with your $25 million, do me a favor? Endow a foundation that gives grants of general operating funds to independent arts organizations with annual budgets less than $500,000. It kills me when I see massive amounts of money being given to gigantic organizations, when the same amount given in smaller quantities could help a whole lot of people. (eg. Give $20k to 5 groups instead of $100k to one.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, as usual, for your insightful thoughts, Lata!

    Liz, sorry, but I'm personally more passionate about my scholarships for poor families program. I was thinking that, seeing as I'll probably be pretty busy being a professional athlete or movie star or CEO or however I'm going to net my $50m/year (an insane amount, I know, but a girl can dream), if you want to run my foundation for six figures a year plus benefits, the job is yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I agree with what you are saying and my favorite part is that you really are trying to understand both perspectives. I'm not talking about the 5-10% of asshole extremists (on either side). I'm talking about reaching people that are also wanting to dialogue. Is the goal here to have the other guy/gal say "you are right" OR is the goal to problem solve some significant issues?

    ReplyDelete